Ezra Memorial Camp Out (1st installment)

Last week I commented to Abe along the lines, who would have thought we would be looking forward to the weekend that marks the anniversary of Ezra's death, but heading into this last weekend we were anxious and excited. The kids and I had been fighting a summer bug, Hazel ended up with pneumonia and it was quite the accomplishment to pull out of town leaving behind only my shoes (of course I discovered this in the evening of the first night when my feet got chilly in my sandals.)

Everyone made it safely to camp Thursday night, we had dinner and a nice campfire and I was tired and fell asleep with the kids while Abe and Jean and Seth and Sarah chatted around the lingering flames. I heard their voices as I drifted in and out of sleep and felt quite pleasant to be sleeping and still enjoying their conversation.

At one point I woke up and had to use the bathroom, but all three of the kids were sprawled out on top of or next to me so I thought I should use Abe's help in leaving the tent without startling them awake. "ABE!" Jean let me know that he and Seth had taken off on a midnight canoe ride, taking in the full moon. Alright I thought, good for them, great adventure...thats what this is about. So I laid awake for a while, telling myself the time was shorter than it felt, still waiting not wanting to disturb the kids. They will be back soon I thought......and thought.....and thought. Not aware of how long I had laid there, worrying and praying that they were safe, I listened for every little noise that could possibly be there return. I waited....and waited....and waited. My mind was going CRAZY!!!! As soon as I heard there footsteps I left the tent and told Abe I was headed to the bathroom. When I returned to the tent I could see that he was wet and shivering.

I didn't know weather to be mad that he left or elated that he was back. They had drifted out to the middle of the lake, and then laid in the bottom of the canoe watching the sky and talking. When they were trying to get back in their seats a wave hit them broadside and tipped the canoe. They were both ok, the canoe full of water but still buoyant enough for them to hang on. It took what they could figure was two hours to swim along with the canoe to shore about a mile from camp, then they had to walk back along a road. All that was lost in the fiasco was Abe's headlamp. I feel blessed and protected.

They were able to joke about it for the rest of the weekend, an adventure that would only be the first in some sleepless nights.

Comments

Popular Posts