Protect the Beluga Whale!

There are only approximately 300 beluga whales left in Alaska's Cook Inlet, and for the last several days I'm supporting the cause by wearing a silicone bracelet. I'm wearing it for more than the whales.

When Ezra was born we were spending our days exploring Homer, AK, part of the Cook Inlet. I'm not even sure what adventure we were on, but each of us, or maybe just the boys, were handed these bracelets by someone promoting the cause. It didn't mean much at the time, they floated around the apartment in the days before and after Ezra joined us and at times I remember the boys giving him a short turn here and there, the bracelet being huge on a newborn arm, but then taking them back, as they were quite important at bed time when they would proudly carry them into bed where it was dark and they glowed, their tired little minds starring hard at the illuminated rings until they fell asleep.

For the last week or so deep cleaning has been my survival mode, if I can't organize my feelings I will try to organize this house. I was digging around in the back of the basement, a dark and cluttered storage area and as I shoved some sleeping bags up on a back shelf I noticed a faint glow behind a pillar. I reached into the dark and pulled out the bracelet. If you would have asked me, if I would have ever remembered these little tokens, I would have surely thought they were long gone in all the moving around we have done since then. How this one made it back from AK and from the little house to this one is a miracle to me. The fact that two years possibly it was laying there in the dark still glowing has me baffled, so I immediately put it on, cried through the memories, and then smiled in disbelief.

These are the things I can't explain, only know in the depth of my heart, where the spirit still lives strong. If you see me anytime soon you'll see this bracelet, I'll wear it until I feel I can take it off...and place it with all the special things that remind us of Ezra.

Thanks my Little Alaska boy, for protecting the whales, and giving mommy a smile in the middle of a really tough time. I know your here. :)

Comments

Popular Posts